- How do you picture Jesus when you pray to him?
- On a scale from one to ten, what place does Jesus hold in your life? Explain your rating.
- What quality in Jesus do you especially admire? How could you show it in your life?
- What is your favorite Gospel story about Jesus? Why?
- Where do you see the kingdom on earth today?
- People’s perceptions of Jesus widely vary. Who is Jesus in your opinion?
- What is your favorite title for Jesus? Why? Do you have another name or title for him?
- Why do you believe that Jesus is God?
- What aspect of being human do you think God most enjoyed? Found most difficult?
- How does Jesus being both God and man impact your life personally?
- If someone were to write your biography a hundred years from now, what materials would the person have to work with?
- What do you know about the apocryphal gospels?
- What are some Gospel stories that you think are historically true?
- Would it make much difference to you if the Gospels were mostly myths? Explain.
- What is your favorite Gospel? Why?
- If you were to write a Gospel for children, what would you include?
- Did a Gospel reading ever resonate with you in a striking way? When? What was it?
- Other than hearing the Gospel read at Mass, how else has it been a part of your life?
- What Gospel passage is most meaningful to you?
- What aspect of Jesus’ life presented in this chapter was new to you?
- In what ways was Jesus’ life similar to yours? Different?
- If Jesus had chosen to come into the world today, where do you think he would be? How would his life be different from what it was in Nazareth?
- How does the fact that Jesus lived on earth impact your life? your values? your attitudes? your view of death?
- How do Jewish customs compare with ours? What Jewish religious customs were carried over to Christianity?
- Was Jesus a good Jew? Explain.
- What Jewish traditions are still practiced as far as you know?
- What has been your experience with Jewish people? with their faith? their history?
- A Christian on hearing that Jesus was an observant Jew responded, “At least he converted.” How would you respond to that?
- What is one of your favorite Old Testament stories? What light does it shed on Jesus?
- What does the history of the Jews reveal about God’s plan of salvation?
- How do we today need a Savior? How do you need a Savior?
- The Old (or Prior) Testament is God’s Word through which God speaks to us. How and when have you opened yourself to its power?
- Why do you think Jesus chose this particular time and place and family for his birth?
- What scene of the infancy narratives most touches your heart? Why?
- How are the infancy narratives a mini-Gospel?
- For which one of Mary’s qualities would you like be known?
- How Jesus-centered are your celebrations of Christmas?
- How does the story of the wise men look back to Israel’s history and forward to the life of Jesus?
- Simeon and Anna were given the grace to recognize Jesus. When have you had the experience of knowing the presence of God?
- What lessons does the hidden life of Jesus teach us?
- When do you, or could you, pray to St. Joseph?
- What does your baptism signify to you?
- You too are God’s beloved. How do you know this?
- Have you ever been severely tempted by Satan? How did you deal with it?
- When have you spoken up for what is true or right and been criticized for it?
- What attracts you to Jesus?
- Is there someone in your life whom you can bring to Jesus? How?
- What difficulties do you encounter as a disciple of Jesus?
- How has God used you in furthering the kingdom?
- What miracle or miracles has Jesus worked for you?
- Jesus’ cures of the blind are symbolic. When have your eyes been opened to new insights regarding Jesus and your faith? What, if anything, keeps you from seeing?
- How does Jesus heal in today’s world?
- What do you make of miracle healers today?
- Sometimes with God’s help, we are able to do things that we thought were impossible. What “miracles” have you accomplished?
- When has Jesus calmed storms in your life?
- Where do you see Satan at work today?
- If Jesus hadn’t worked miracles, would you still believe he was God? Why?
- Where have you seen God’s providence active in your life?
- Jesus teaches trust in God. What situations in your life right now call for you to place your trust in God?
- What are your favorite prayers? What is your favorite way of praying?
- What does it mean to say “the kingdom is now”? How does your life reflect God’s kingdom?
- How do stories still influence people?
- The parables are windows to God. Which characteristics of God do they reveal?
- What does “kingdom of God” mean to you? Where do you find evidence of it in your world?
- Where do you see the Church growing today?
- The parables are mirrors. Which parables give you insight into yourself? How?
- How can you imitate Jesus’ outreach to little people?
- What is involved today in being alert and watchful for the coming of the Lord?
- When has persevering prayer paid off for you? What do you continue to pray for?
- Have you ever been asked to forgive someone with the generous forgiveness that Jesus displays? Have you ever been forgiven like this?
- When Jesus gazed at the Samaritan woman, he saw her for what she was, a woman hungering for love who has had five husbands. What does Jesus see when he looks at you?
- When have you had a glimpse of God’s glory?
- The widow gives her all to the Temple. How much of your all have you been willing to give to the Church? How?
- Who is someone you know who is living out one of the beatitudes today? How?
- How did Jesus live the beatitudes?
- How could Jesus’ laws help certain world situations today?
- How has the Church continued to bring out new wineskins? How has it brought out old things from its store?
- When have you chosen to follow the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law?
- Have you ever been in a situation where a good person was persecuted by others? Why and how was the person persecuted? What was the outcome?
- Today the Church is found associating with the same kind of hopeless people Jesus befriended. What are some examples?
- Why should we try to correct others who are not living according to God’s laws? Did you ever point out to someone that they were doing wrong? How did you approach that person? How did he or she react?
- What does Jesus mean by calling himself the Light of the World? How is Jesus your light?
- Why do you believe that Jesus is the Messiah?
- Why do you think some people today ignore Jesus or turn their backs on him?
- Who else has endured persecution for trying to do good? Have you ever had this experience?
- Why was the Eucharist bittersweet for Jesus?
- In what ways have you “washed feet”? How has someone “washed your feet”?
- What efforts are being made toward the Church unity Jesus prayed for at the Last Supper? What are you doing to help bring it about?
- What does the Eucharist mean to you personally?
- When have you submitted to the Father’s will although it was very difficult for you?
- What thoughts do you think were running through Jesus’ mind during the different phases of his ordeal?
- How do you account for the crowd turning against Jesus?
- Were you ever falsely accused? How did you feel?
- Sometimes we would like to “wash our hands” of certain responsibilities. What roles or duties would you like to eliminate from your life? What factors encourage you to persevere in carrying on with them?
- Which person in the crucifixion story do you identify with most? Why?
- At what times in your life in particular do you reflect on the death of Jesus?
- How has Jesus been your personal savior?
- Which of the last words of Jesus are most meaningful for you? Why?
- Where is Jesus being crucified today?
- Why is the resurrection the central mystery of our faith?
- What signs in nature indicate that there is a resurrection?
- What has been the role of the Holy Spirit in your life? How can you deepen your relationship with this Third Person of the Trinity, who is sometimes called the forgotten God?
- How are you carrying out the mission to “teach all nations and baptize them”? Who in your life needs to hear the Good News?
- What Eucharistic celebrations have been most meaningful to you?
- When have you experienced the presence of Jesus? How has someone been Jesus for you?
- If at this moment Jesus appeared to you, what would you say to him?
- How freely do you express to others what Jesus means to you? Why or why not?
- Who are you looking forward to being with in eternity?
- What is your concept of the final judgment? Of heaven?
- What aspects of Jesus do you find most appealing?